Friday, May 1, 2009

Assembly




Today we began main assembly of the engine we have been working on. It is fun to look forward to putting the engine together instead of the tedious measuring of parts that I have been doing. However, I have learned a ton about them by doing the tedious stuff, so it is a positive all around.

I assembled the starter system yesterday and that was a good warm up for the engine. I have always heard of engine parts that need to be heated up to be installed, but I have never done that myself until today. Sure enough, they have a special oven for that purpose and we heated up a gear to 300 degrees F in order to fit it on the crankshaft. Then bolts and safety wire.

Tomorrow is JAARS day and I will be helping people who will be taking rides in the Kodiak. We are praying that many people will be touched by what work God is doing through JAARS and will join the team in some aspect.

Josh and I have been working on a glider together in the evenings. He found a glider that someone apparently had lost by the lake, but it doesn't work well. So I told him we will build one together. We are allowed to use the shop for personal projects on our own time, so we dug through the scrap pile and cut up some wood to make a glider. It really will be more like a paper airplane with some wood structure. We will see how it flies!

Plan on a report tomorrow from JAARS day with more photos!

No comments: