Saturday, November 14, 2009

Alternative to the Holidays

I want to start out saying that I am not trying to be preachy or anything. I have just had this on my heart and wanted to share my feelings openly.

A couple of years ago, a dear friend of mine invited me to research a few articles he had read on the origins of some of our favorite holidays. Truthfully, it really didn't surprise me to find out that there are some deep and direct idolatrous roots in most of them. I had never been a fan of using bunnies, eggs and chocolate to celebrate Jesus's resurrection. But I did really enjoy the tree, the lights and the presents associated with his birth.

But to be honest with myself, the worst sin the Israelites committed over and over to truly incur God's wrath to its fullest, was the sin of idolatry. I felt very convicted and our family made some changes in what we do in certain times of the year. In doing so, we completely got rid of all our Christmas stuff and ceased to do anything that is traditionally associated with Christmas. This included asking our other family to abstain from giving gifts to our children.

My parents still wanted to do something for the kids and hit on a great idea. They gave my kids a catalog from Samaritans Purse and allowed the kids to select an item of a certain value to be donated on their behalf. The kids loved that even more than presents! And how much further can food in an empty belly go than some toy that will be discarded from boredom or break?

So this year, we will be doing the same thing. I encourage you to think about this for yourselves. Instead of buying pretty lights, buy some chickens for some kids in Africa. Or buy some rice for starving kids in Asia. The list is about endless of something that can be done for ETERNAL value. Remember Jesus's words: "...for I was hungry and you gave me something to eat..." Matthew 25:31-46

We're also going to go a step further this year. All the time we would have spent getting a tree, putting up lights, shopping for presents, etc, we will be spending with a charity like Big Brothers, Big Sisters spending time with kids who just need someone to give them attention. Kids don't need toys. Kids don't need presents. Kids need food, love and attention. And those mostly come pretty cheap.

There are many ways to give these things to those who do not have them. Together, we can make this season last an eternity for others.

No comments: